Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: HHN's Mineral Powder in Sand Dollar and Mineral Blush in Tropical Rose

Wearing both powder and blush



Makeup that’s truly good for your skin… is that even possible?  No harsh ingredients, no parabens, no talc…you think it’s achievable?  Well, Human Nature promises to bring only the good.  And that includes bringing only the good ingredients for their mineral makeup line.  Just hearing the words “mineral” and “makeup” in one sentence already gets my attention. 

But then, since it’s makeup, it’s also essential that it delivers what it should deliver.  For this review, we shall see. 
But first, a little back track… I first reviewed a blush from this line called Pink Quartz.  Unfortunately, it didn’t reach my expectations too well.  The color was nice, but the texture and the scent that came with it was just not working for me.  However, I changed my mind with this other shade called Tropical Rose.  It’s not my typical blush color, but I was surprised at how well it performed.

As for the mineral powder, I think I found a good dupe for MAC Blot.  But before anything else, let’s proceed with the usual stuff, shall we?

FACTS: 

Place bought:  Human Nature Store,  Commonwealth Branch

Price:  425 PHP for the mineral powder, 225 PHP for the blush

Packaging:  The mineral powder comes in a gold compact, complete with mirror and a sponge.  The blush, meanwhile, is encased in a gold pot which needs to be twisted to open.  Both came in peachy-pink boxes, where the ingredients and expiration dates were listed.  At the back of each product, the shade name and other information are also written.

Shade:  The mineral powder is Sand Dollar – it’s a tad too yellow for my skin, and a little too dark, yet somehow, using a brush, I get to work with the shade on my skintone.  As for the blush, the shade is Tropical Rose, which appears a like a burnt coral/orange in the pan but applies peach on my skin.

Here's the mineral powder:






the heart was a nice touch

And here's the mineral blush:







MY CONCURRENCES:

I was surprised at how well the mineral powder performed on my skin.  Using my Charm kabuki brush, I use it as my new touch-up powder. Amazingly, it worked really great in making my skin matte, smooth and non-greasy.  For a good 4 hours, I have visibly good skin without oiliness and shine.  Although I only wear it as touch-up powder in an airconditioned environment, the lasting power is quite amazing. I don’t really appear patchy or oily, which is the same effect I get with MAC Blot.  However, I have to admit that the shade was a bit off for my skin tone, but there are other shades available, so I might try them on soon.  I’ve been using the compact for a good two, going three, weeks, and so far, my skin hasn’t reacted badly yet. 

As for the mineral blush, all I can say is “wow” for that shade.  I never expected that an orange blush in the pan could apply as a sheer peach on my skin tone.  The texture was soft and easy to blend onto the skin with a good brush.  The shade is also perfect for the summer months, which is a good plus.  More importantly, I’m happy with the staying power.  It lasts for 5-6 hours on me, or the same time that my NARS blushes stay on my cheeks. 


MY DISSENT:

For the mineral powder, there’s a slight scent of oil that comes with it, but it goes away after a while.  The sponge that came with it is also useless for me, I’d rather use a brush for touching up.  It’s also a bit tricky to open the compact because the lid closes too tightly – but this is just a slight dissent, though.

As for the blush, I wish the packaging comes in a flip-open compact.    There’s also a slight scent, but nothing too overwhelming like the first formulation of HHN’s blush which I reviewed before. 

Swatches:

mineral powder in Sand Dollar

mineral blush in Tropical Rose


OVERALL VERDICT:
Using them together was a treat for my skin.  I like how the powders blended together onto my skin.  Tropical Rose is a good shade of peach on my skintone which I see myself wearing on the beach.  I’m adoring the color so much, I already plan to bring it with me on my next beach destination. Meanwhile, the mineral powder really doesn’t disappoint.   I have yet to try it as a powder foundation, but I still have to search for my best shade.  But so far, I think I found a good dupe for my MAC Blot. 

So as mineral makeup, did they deliver? I would say, yes! Being good for my skin is always a welcome addition for my makeup staples. And being able to perform really well, that’s the best part! I’m proud to know that HHN, a Filipino pride, was able to concoct makeup creations like these. 

Well, that's it for now. I hope the week has been good for you so far.  Mine is getting busier by the day.  Good thing I have a stress-reliever like this blog and my tons of makeup. Haha! 
Enjoy your week!


2 comments:

  1. i haven't tried their cosmetics line yet.. in fact the only one that i have tried is their sunflower oil. hahaha!

    but these look nice ha
    lalo yung blush!
    i have to check it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, the blush is really nice. and i'm surprised about the powder myself - it works great! thanks for visiting, thiamere!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!